Thousands of eCommerce business owners will spend hours attempting to make the most attractive website possible for their customers. Because, well, the better the website the more likely visitors will convert into customers. Your website’s quality and reputation will depend – at least in some part – on the design.
It takes about 0.05 seconds for visitors to a website to form an opinion that will determine whether they like your site or not. That fast opinion will also determine whether they stay or leave.
Remember, most themes allow you to add your own design flair, change settings and formatting, etc., so it matches your needs. And, of course, you can integrate your favorite third-party application to ensure your entire website is streamlined for your customers, from browsing, checkout, and shipping.
Shopify offers about 76 themes to purchase or use right from the platform and there are many more available through other third-party sources. Picking a theme can be daunting, especially when there are so many to choose from. Assuming you are not using a tool such as Gochyu Shopify theme detector pick a theme to use. We’ve gathered the top Shopify themes, both free and paid, that are currently trending with the eCommerce site. Depending on the style and goals of your business, you may find one that will work perfectly for your business.
Free Shopify Themes
Shopify offers multiple free themes that businesses of all sizes and purposes can use to build their website. While many free themes can lack somewhat in design and functionality, for those businesses on a budget, they can provide the right amount of customization to set themselves up for some sales. Some of the best Shopify themes are free.
Here are the top free Shopify themes of 2023:
Debut is a free Shopify theme designed with a simplistic showcase in mind. It provides all the basics eCommerce sites need to get started and scale their business. Tools include slideshows, predictive search, and product filtering. It’s designed for smaller catalogs.
Designed by Shopify, Narrative is optimal for brands with a focus on storytelling. It’s great for small catalogs and provides features such as hero video, fixed navigation, and a wider layout option
Shopify Simple theme is a minimal theme for Shopify businesses wanting to just focus on their product. It’s clean and showcases catalogs well with great image outlines. It comes with a sidebar menu, product image zoom, product recommendations, and more.
Shopify Envy Theme is ideal for regular promotions and featured products. It is designed for running time-based promotions, processing a large number of transactions in a given period, and doing in-person selling. It comes with flexible, well-designed blocks for images, products, videos, quotes, and more.
Symmetry Shopify Theme is designed to showcase images to support visual brand storytelling. It comes with a versatile, fashionable, professional theme with premium features.
Premium Shopify Themes
Premium themes are for businesses that need a little more than the broader themes available for free. They often need to manage multiple areas with many tasks or perform more than a free template can be used to create. Or, they might just prefer a paid theme because it’s less likely to be found across hundreds of other websites.
Here are some of the top premium Shopify themes:
- Responsive Theme
- Mavon Theme
- Testament Theme
- Handy Theme
- Flow Theme
- Loft Theme
- Boost Theme
- Story Theme
- Mobilia Theme
- Booster Theme
- Galleria Theme
- Split Theme
Likely the most popular and most recognizable theme from Shopify, the Responsive theme by Out of the Sandbox is $220 USD and looks incredible on any screen, from a tiny iPhone 6s to a desktop and beyond. The themes are highly customizable and provide a variety of layouts to choose from. It’s designed for stores that also do in-person selling and want to tell a story with their content.
- Highly customizable layouts, and typography
- Wide layout with features like image zoom, hero videos, and promo banners
- Editorial content capabilities with extended text sections
Unleash the power of Mavon, a game-changing Shopify theme that elevates your store and drives revenue growth. More than just a theme, Mavon is a reliable business solution with robust features and dedicated support.
Boasting 20+ customizable sections enables you to create a visually stunning store tailored to your brand. Whether you’re in fashion, electronics, or any niche, Mavon is the ultimate choice. Redefine your online retail experience, focus on business growth, and let Mavon propel your store to new heights.
- 20+ Flexible Sections
- Mega menu
- Lightning-Fast Search
- Color swatches
- High-resolution images
Price: Free trial version
Regular License: $280/ year
The Testament theme is another widely popular theme and for good reason. For $260 USD, it’s best for stores selling apparel, household items, and beauty products as it is mostly image-based but of high-def quality. It’s optimized to provide a streamlined customer experience and fast online shopping. There’s also an unlimited free trial – you pay when you publish.
- Designed for stores that process high amounts of transactions in a specific time period
- Contains elements of visual storytelling
- Designed exclusively for stores that sell in-person
Great for arts and entertainment and clothing and accessories, the Handy theme by Red Plug Design Co. is meant for mobile-first browsing and smaller screens. For $180 USD, online shipping is simplified and quick with many selling options available as well as a wide variety of marketing tools. There’s also an unlimited free trial – you pay when you publish.
- Mobile friendly designs
- Simple navigation with search focused & multi-column menu
- Search engine-friendly template
A more expensive theme option at $350 USD, Flow by Eight provides a minimalistic design that still provides sophistication to the shopping experience. It’s intended for high-volume stores with smaller catalogs. Visual pages are high-quality and appealing without being distracting. An unlimited free trial is available.
- Ideal for high-volume stores, flash sales, and international selling
- Easy customization with drag-and-drop sections and blocks to create custom pages without coding
- Marketing and conversion features like back-in-stock alerts, blogs, promo pop-ups, and more
Designed by Trailblaze Media, Loft is geared toward businesses that value a promotion-first brand. It allows for great long-form content and storytelling and comes with many marketing and promotional tools to sell your products and your brand. There’s also an unlimited free trial – you pay when you publish.
- Designed for large inventories with modern and minimalistic designs
- Optimized for high-resolution images
- Story-focused product pages and white space-rich landing pages
Boost by Clean Canvas is a colorful theme that brightens up a shop for products such as children’s toys and accessories, pet items, and games. It’s set up for higher volume shops as it provides a large catalog ability but works well for any sized eCommerce store. It’s available for $ 280 USD and also comes with a free unlimited trial.
- Optimized for longer-form text sections to support brand storytelling
- Designed for stores that process a large number of transactions in a given period
- Theme setup steps are minimal to allow for a quick launch
As its name implies, Story by the Group Thought provides a platform for brands wanting to focus on storytelling. For $280 USD and a free unlimited trial, users gain access to customizable and powerful filtering for catalogs, multiple sections, and a mobile-first optimization.
- Designed to showcase images to support visual brand storytelling
- Simple design with decent color combinations
- Designed for stores that do in-person selling
Another popular theme by Out of the Sandbox, Mobilia allows you to showcase your brand with smooth content integration, custom promotion lists, and quick buy options. It is designed and built for medium-sized catalogs and is available with a free trial or $ 180 USD.
- Clean and slick design with re-sizable landing page banners
- Custom promotion tiles for featuring products, promoting sales, and discounts.
- Search engine-optimized templates
Booster Theme will turn your visitors into buyers. It’s more than a simple theme; it’s a complete marketing toolbox. Inside Booster, you will find integrated apps, conversion-optimized designs, and loading speeds that you can’t find in any other theme. Increase your sales today. Get your license today at BoosterTheme.com
- Versatile design style with a responsive layout
- Designed for stores that process a large number of transactions in a given period
- Flexible, well-designed blocks for images, products, videos, quotes, and more
Galleria by Mile High Themes is $250 USD and is an image-focused theme intended for large inventories, and any size of the catalog. As its name suggests, Galleria comes with stunning gallery options and slideshow capabilities so you can provide a strong image for your brand and products.
- Image-focused theme ideal for large inventories
- Versatile gallery to beautifully showcase your brand or product imagery on your home page or in a lookbook
- Unique design elements to create a stunning home page
Intended for very visual brands who still want to include an aspect of storytelling, Split by Krown Themes suits any catalog size and provides options for quick sales and a split-screen layout. It comes with many promotional tools to help boost conversions.
- Designed with features for running time-based promotions
- Tools that help with conversions, such as unique promotion banners, countdown headers, dynamic cross-selling, and more
- Balanced split screen layout to create a truly engaging user experience
Interested in learning more about how PluginHive’s Shipping Solutions will collaborate with your Shopify theme? Regardless of how your site is set up, PluginHive’s Solutions will provide your customers with a seamless shipping experience. Shipping rates will show in real-time at checkout and customers will be able to choose which option fits their budget and time constraints. Parcels will arrive faster than ever and spend less time processing because the app will automatically print shipping labels & track orders in real-time.
Reach out for a conversation with our team of experts today!