An OverviewFitness websites like Bodybuilding.com collect up a lot of traffic. The number of daily visitors goes beyond a staggering number of 1 million. They offer tons of articles and tutorial videos, diet plans, exercise programs, weight-training tips, and much more. They also sell food supplements and pieces of gym equipment. Some of their professional trainers invite their members to join various fitness programs and organize many group events as well. So it is evident that having an end-to-end fitness website can bring you a great deal of traffic and sales. But creating a fitness website with WooCommerce alone is just not enough. It doesn’t have the necessary features to help you out. And so, you would require additional plugins and tools to do that.
Plugins you needEvery WordPress-based website needs a few plugins to give it shape and keep everything moving. In your case, you need plugins that suit your fitness needs and its applications. Here are the necessary plugins that you’d be needing for your website.
Things you need to doSo once you are done with the plugin installations, you would need a roadmap in order to build a website. It should help you have a clear picture of what your website would look like. Here’s a basic list of things you’ll be doing.
- Set up a WooCommerce store for your website
- Set up a shipping system to sell fitness items like supplements, workout accessories, workout equipment, etc.
- Set up a booking system for your classes, sessions, etc.
- Set up a blog to offer workout plans like weight-loss plans, build muscle plans, gain strength plans, etc.
- Set up a community or forum
Note: For the sake of making this guide universal, we will cover only the basic things. So if you feel like adding or removing something then feel free to do that. It’s your website.
Step 1: Set up your WooCommerceThe first step is to build yourself a WooCommerce website. For that, you need to set up WordPress and then apply a theme to give your website a good look. Though it’s always good to apply a beautiful theme, you should not spend much time doing that. That’s because most fitness websites are simple-looking and don’t usually have a ton of animations going around. So having a theme that has a few good solid colors can really give your website a professional feel to it. Now that you have WordPress and the choice of your theme installed on it, you have to now set up WooCommerce. Here are the necessary steps:
- Install WooCommerce – WooCommerce will be an important part of your website. It will handle most of your payments, orders, bookings and much more. Check out this WooCommerce tutorial to learn more.
- Create pages for the website – WooCommerce has four default pages – Shop, Cart, Checkout and My Account. After installing the plugin you need to go to the Pages section under the Dashboard. Under this section, you can make necessary changes to your pages like changing the name, changing the parent page, etc.
- Set up Checkout and Payments – This is one of the most important parts of setting up the WooCommerce plugin on your website. That’s because it largely impacts your customer behavior.
- Set up Currency and Store location – After setting up your checkout and payment options, you need to define the currency and your store location.
- Add products and configure the settings – Since you are going to sell items on your website, you need to define and set up your products.
Step 2: Set up a shipping systemOnce you are done setting up your WooCommerce, you have to now set up the WooCommerce Royal Mail Shipping Plugin with Tracking. To do that, you need to buy this plugin first and then use the installation and activation article to install it on your WooCommerce. You need to make sure that the Currency is in Pound Sterling and the Weight and Dimensions are in the units of kg and cm. In order to change the currency, you need to go to WooCommerce > Settings and then change the currency to Pound Sterling. Once you are done with it, you need to go to WooCommerce > Settings > Products and then mention the units as kg and cm. Thereafter, you need to go to WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping > Royal Mail and set up the plugin. Based on the type of products that you are going to sell, you can select from the Royal Mail parcels accordingly. You have the option to enable or disable certain shipping methods or services as well. So, for example, if you are only going to ship internationally then you can select the following international services. Have a look at the following image. On top of that, you can adjust the shipping price by either adding or subtracting the required amount to/from the actual shipping cost. Use minus sign(–) for subtracting the amount. You can change the prices by entering any value in % and £ for each service. If you have correctly followed the above shipping setup guide, then you should be able to see the shipping rates for your product. Here is a sample product that we created in order to show you how it might look in the end. Product image Product in the Cart
Step 3: Set up a bookings system
Now it’s time to have your fitness classes or sessions put up on the website. The idea here is that any one of your customers should be able to book their time slot for the fitness session. Some fitness websites even allow their clients to choose their desired workout hours. So they can come to the gym within that time period only.Let’s try to add a Dance Fitness Program where customers can find a class and book the desired one for the time period. They will have the choice to mention the number of people joining that particular class. That’s because many people like going together with their friends, and they look up to classes that allow multiple entries.