How to Set up Weaving and Fibre Arts Studio using WooCommerce Bookings and Appointments
In this guide, we are going to give you the necessary steps and guidelines to set up an online booking system for your weaving and fibre arts studio. We will take a real-life example and the WooCommerce Bookings plugin to show you how it’s done.
The Business Case
My client runs a Weaving and Fibre Arts studio where she teaches one-on-one and group classes on a variety of topics. All the classes are as-needed by the students, not pre-scheduled events, so from a booking perspective, it works more like a hair salon, where students pick a date and time and choose a class to register for.
My client can handle multiple students/classes at once, so registrations can overlap. Limiting factors, for the most part, would be the equipment, which is required one per student per class. e.g., There are 7 pieces of equipment that are available for 2 different class types; 4 pieces of equipment available for a fifth class type, and 2 pieces of equipment available for a sixth class type.
What we need in a WooCommerce Bookings system are the following features:
A. Have the ability to set up individual assets (e.g., equipment such as “loom 1,” “loom 2,” or “spinning wheel 1”) that are tied to one or more class types, each with a max capacity of 1, that are auto-assigned to the student when they register for a class that uses that type of asset. They should not need to select or even see the asset, we only need it for back-end assignment purposes.
Some of our assets are limited to one class, and others are available for multiple classes. For example:
ASSETS: 6 Saori Looms
— Saori Weaving Class
— Continue Your Project Class
— Online Saori Weaving Class
— Saori Zen-Tensive Class
— Saori Zen-Tensive Class with Overnight Stay
ASSETS: 4 Rigid Heddle Looms
CLASS: Weaving with a Rigid Heddle Loom
ASSETS: 2 Spinning Wheels
CLASS: Spinning on a Spinning Wheel
ASSETS: 4 Drop Spindles
CLASS: Spinning with a Drop Spindle
B. Have the ability to set an overall studio max capacity for any time block, regardless of what assets are available (e.g., no more than 6 students registered for a single time block)
C. Have the ability to accept group bookings (e.g., one person can register for a group of 4 people on one booking).
Solution using WooCommerce Bookings
- To illustrate the above business case, we will create 2 different classes as bookable products as an example, say Saori Weaving Class with the asset “Loom” assigned to it and Spinning yarn on a Spinning Wheel class with the asset “Spinning wheel” assigned to it.
- Create the assets “Loom” and “Spinning Wheel” and assign the asset quantity to 6 and 1 respectively as per the business case.
- Assign the assets automatically to the respective products within the specific products settings page under the “Booking Assets tab”.
- For Saori Weaving Class:
- For Spinning Wheel Class:
- For Saori Weaving Class:
- In order to have the ability to set an overall studio max capacity for any time block, regardless of what assets are available (e.g., no more than 6 students registered for a single time block), set the maximum bookings per block as 6
5. In order to have the ability to accept group bookings (e.g., one person can register for a group of 4 people on one booking), enable “Consider each participant as separate booking” within the Booking Participants tab in order to count each of the participants as separate bookings, thus 4 participants = 4 bookings.
Voila! This is how you can set up a Weaving and Fibre Studio using the WooCommerce Bookings Plugin from PluginHive. If you have any doubts or need help setting up Bookings on your WooCommerce-based website then feel free to Contact PluginHive Customer Support. Our support team should be able to help you out.