Customise your WooCommerce Shipping by Providing Flat Rates on Some Products and Ship Others via UPS and USPS
In this article, we will check out how you can provide flexible shipping options to your customers ranging from a fixed Flat Rate shipping to variable real-time shipping from shipping carriers like UPS and USPS, using WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin. This article will cover a business case where different products will be shipped differently within the US using either the Flat Rate or UPS and USPS shipping.
Charles owns an E-commerce store where he ships his products domestically within the US. He uses UPS as well as USPS as his shipping carriers and provides timely deliveries to his customers. Charles came up with a business case where he would require to use the Flat Rate Shipping along with the other shipping rates that he was displaying on his website. According to Charles,”…We are trying to set up a flat rate shipping fee for one of our products. And the other products would ship through UPS or USPS. Would it be possible and if yes, please let us know how we can set this up..?”
Charles’s business case can be easily set up with the help of WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin. However, in order to make it work, he would require to set up the following things:
Create Shipping Classes
Based on Charles’s requirements, he would require different Shipping Classes for his products based on the way he wants to ship them. Hence, he can create the following shipping classes and assign products to these classes:
- Special Products – For the products he requires to provide Flat Rate Shipping
- Standard Products – For the products, he requires live rates from UPS or USPS
Once he sets up the shipping classes and assigns the products to the shipping classes, he can set up the WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin in order to set the shipping conditions.
Set Up The Shipping Area
Since Charles ships his products across the US only, he needs to define the shipping area under the Shipping Area Management section in the WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin settings, as shown in the image below.
Charles can create a new shipping area with the Country field and set it to the US. Once done, the same will be visible while creating the shipping rules.
Create Shipping Rules
Based on Charles’s requirements he can set the shipping rules in the WooCommerce multi-Carrier Shipping plugin settings, as shown in the image below.
How to set up WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin to display Flat Rates and Live Shipping Rates from UPS & USPS based on the Shipping Classes?
Based on Charles’s requirements, if you also have a similar business case, then you can achieve this using WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin by following the steps below:
- After successfully installing and activating the WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin, you can visit the area management section in order to create a shipping area based on your business case.
- Once you are done with the shipping area, visit the Multi-Carrier Shipping Settings and enable click on Enable this Shipping Method. This will allow the plugin to display the shipping rates on the cart page.
- You can now enter the shipper address in the Shipper Settings in the plugin settings, as shown in the image below.
- Now you need to enter the account details of your shipping carrier(s) which you want to use. This will allow the plugin to get the live rates from the shipping carrier.
- Now you need to set up shipping rules under the Rules Table, based on your business requirements. Based on Charles’s requirements, here is how his shipping rules will look like.
You can easily see the following rules created in the image:
- A Flat Rate $5 is charged for a particular type of product assigned to the shipping class A.
- All other products are either shipped via UPS Ground service or the USPS Priority Mail Express shipping service.
- Also, since there are multiple rules for flat rates, you can use the customized solution to hide the multiple shipping rules for the flat rates.
In this article, we discussed the WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin and how using the plugin you can easily set up a complex shipping scenario where a particular type of product is required to have a flat rate shipping along with other products being shipped via UPS and USPS live shipping services.
WooCommerce Multi-Carrier Shipping plugin supports free shipping and flat rate shipping along with the real-time shipping rates from UPS, USPS, DHL, FedEx, and Stamps.com. This makes it the perfect option for the store owners who are looking for a robust shipping solution to handle their complex shipping scenarios with multiple shipping carriers.