FedEx Return Shipping on Shopify store
Return shipping labels ensure a prompt delivery return to the merchant. The return label consists of the same exact information as found on its corresponding forward shipping label but with swapped addresses.
Since Shopify shipping doesn’t support FedEx carrier, this guide will describe how you can print FedEx return labels, handle return shipping & send return shipment emails to customers using the Shopify Ship, Rate, and Track for FedEx.
Set up for printing FedEx Return Labels
The Shopify Ship, Rate, and Track helps you seamlessly handle FedEx Return shipping.
Follow the below steps to set up return shipping with the app.
Head to App settings –> Auto Settings –> Return Labels as shown below:
Rate Selection Strategy: For return shipments, if the customer selected service is not available for shipping, you can automatically choose to select the cheapest available shipping service based on the address or you can set your preferred services.
If you choose “select cheapest”, the app automatically chooses the cheapest FedEx service available based on the shipper and recipient addresses.
If you choose “Preferred services”, you can set up specific FedEx services for Domestic, International, and Freight shipments as shown below.
Reason for Return: Once you have set up the Return Rates Selection Strategy, you need to choose the reason for return. You can choose from the following reasons.
- Courtesy Return Label: In this type of return, you include a return label for your customer, but don’t expect returns.
- Exhibition Trade Show: In such returns, the goods you’re shipping are for an exhibition, trade show, or any event.
- Faulty item: In such returns, the item is broken, or had any kind of damage.
- For repair: In such returns, the goods you’re shipping will be repaired before being returned to you.
- Following repair: In this case, the recipient previously sent you the item for repair, but not via FedEx.
- Item for Loan: In this case, the goods you’re shipping are for temporary use and will be returned to you in an unchanged state.
- Rejected: In this case, the customer rejected the shipment, and has to be returned to you.
- Replacement: In such returns, you’re shipping a replacement item in advance and receiving a faulty item back.
- Trial: In this type, the goods you’re shipping are for a trial and will be returned to you.
Valid Reasons for FedEx International Returns
Not all reasons are valid for FedEx International returns. Only the following reasons are valid and can be approved for FedEx returns for International shipments.
- Exhibition Trade Show
- Faulty item
- For Repair
- Item for Loan
You will also have the option to enable insurance for all your packages and choose to generate return labels along with forward labels (This option is not supported for FedEx Domestic shipments in India).
Printing FedEx Return shipping labels
To print a return shipping label head to the All Orders> Return icon as shown below:
Since there are no return labels generated for the order, click on Create New.
This will direct you to the return label generation page. Now, choose the Return quantity, and reason for return for the current order, and click on Refresh. This will show the services and rates available. Choose the required service and print labels.
The Return label is generated for the selected order. Now, you can download the label or Email it to the customer.
Here is a sample FedEx Return Label.
You can generate multiple return labels for single order. FedEx will charge the customer for return labels only when they are scanned. For example, if you generate two return labels for a single order, and the customer wants to ship the order with a second label, then the first return label can be ignored.
Sending Return shipment email to customers
Once the FedEx return label is generated, you can email it to the customer to return the shipment, as explained in the above section. When you select the email to customer option, it will ask for the required email address.
Once you click on Send, the return label will be sent to the customer from your own business email address only if the SMTP details are configured within the app. Otherwise, the mail will be sent from the app support email address ([email protected]).
To configure the SMTP credentials, head to App settings –> General –> SMTP settings.
You can configure the SMTP credentials and send the email from your own business email address.
To know more about FedEx International Returns, refer, to Tips and Tools for FedEx Global Returns. If you have any queries regarding the FedEx Return shipping process with the app, do contact PluginHive support.