Setting Up WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro Plugin
In this tutorial, we will show you how to easily set up WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro Plugin to manage and update tracking details for your orders. It will cover importing your tracking details to your WooCommerce store and sending it to the customers via Email.
WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro plugin allows you as Admin to manage easily shipping information concerning your orders and your customers can also track shipping information about their order. With this plugin, you do not have to spend your precious time to manage telephone calls and emails from your customers, who want to know the status of the shipped order.
This tutorial will give you an excellent launch pad to kick-start the usage of WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro plugin. It will give you all the essential knowledge and step-by-step instructions.
After purchasing the WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro plugin, plugin Zip file is available in MY ACCOUNT.
- Download .zip file from MY ACCOUNT.
- Log in as the WordPress Admin of your online store.
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New to upload the downloaded WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro plugin.
- Activate the WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro plugin.
For detailed information about installing the Plugin(s), See How to Download, Install, Activate & Update WooCommerce Plugin?
Setting Up WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro Plugin
After installing the plugin, a new tab ‘Tracking ’ is added to WooCommerce Settings. Now you can configure this plugin as per your requirement.
You can navigate to settings in two ways as given below:
- Navigate to WooCommerce > Settings > Tracking OR
- Navigate to Plugins > Installed Plugins > Settings for Shipment Tracking Pro plugin
Shipment Tracking Settings
To activate the plugin, you need to enter the API License Key and the email ID used for the purchase. You can find the API License Key in the order completion email or in the API Keys section.
Customizing Shipment Tracking Message
This plugin provides flexibility to customize shipment tracking message according to need. The message appears in the email, Admin Order Page, and Order page of Customer(under My Account) after completing the order.
The setting is as shown below:
Here, Admin can use placeholders to fill details of shipment automatically. You can frame a message by including tags like [DATE], [SERVICE], and [ID]. Details about these Tags is as given below:
|[DATE]||It gets replaced with the shipment date in order page tracking section.|
|[SERVICE]||It gets replaced with the selected shipping service in order page tracking section.|
|[ID]||It gets replaced with the tracking code in order page tracking section.|
- Default message: when all fields are filled in the Shipment Tracking section on individual order admin page, a message appears as given below:
Your order was shipped on 2015-07-06 via UPS. To track the shipment, please follow the link of shipment IDs EN428785455IN, EN428785456IN.
Note: The link on shipment IDs leads to the live tracking details on their website
- No Shipment IDs: If Admin ignored entering tracking IDs because it may not be available. In this case, Shipment is done with UK Mail and shipment date is entered. In this case, the default message shown to the customer is as given below:
Your order was shipped on 2015-07-06 via UK Mail.
- No Dates: If Admin ignored entering shipment date, then the default message is as given below:
Your order was shipped via UPS. To track the shipment, please follow the link of shipment IDs EN428785455IN, EN428785456IN.
- No Tracking IDs and Date: Admin can even proceed with only selecting shipping service and ignoring tracking ID field and date field. The message is as given below:
Your order was shipped via United States Postal Service.
- Here is an example of client requirement – client does not have shipping IDs on hand at the time of shipping and the expected message is as given below:
“Your order was shipped with Royal Mail on ddmmyy. You can expect delivery in 3-4 days.”
This can be easily achieved by setting Custom Shipment Message field as given below:
Your order was shipped with [SERVICE] on [DATE]. You can expect delivery in 3-4 days.
Turning Off API status
With this field, you can turn on/off API tracking status on customer order page.
The setting is as shown below:
Select the checkbox to turn off API tracking the status of the carrier and shipment tracking Information appears at the top (highlighted in the below screenshot). If the checkbox is not selected then the customer gets tracking ID links at two places as shown below:
Note: API tracking status will be shown only for USPS and Canada Post carriers.
By default, the plugin supports 79 shipment tracking services for the major carriers. This plugin facilitates you to add custom tracking services. Tracking data field is used to add or remove any required shipment tracking services by adding or removing respective lines.
The setting is as shown below:
- Removing the Tracking Service
A Large number of pre-defined shipping services comes with PluginHive shipment tracking plugin. But out of these all tracking services, only few may be relevant to you and rest of the services can be removed.
To remove unwanted services, select the line of required tracking service from Tracking Data field, delete it, and save the settings.
- Adding the Tracking Service
This plugin enables you to add custom tracking service(s). To add a new service, create a new line by adding carrier name and corresponding tracking URL (optional) separated using pipe symbol (|).
Admin can use placeholders to fill details of tracking URL automatically. You can include tags like [ID] and [PIN]. Details about these Tags is as given below:
|[ID]||It gets replaced with the Shipment ID in Tracking URL.|
|[PIN]||It gets replaced with Postcode in Tracking URL. You don’t have to place this tag if tracking URL does not require postcode.|
You can add Tracking data either for single or in bulk for many carriers at a time.
- Adding tracking data for Single carrier
To add tracking services, add a line with carrier name and corresponding tracking URL (optional) separated using pipe symbol (|).
- Tracking data with Shipment ID and Postcode as a placeholder:
PostNL | https://jouw.postnl.nl/[ID]/track-en-trace/111111111/NL/[PIN]
Here, the custom shipment service name is PostNL and its direct tracking URL requires shipment ID and postcode to show the real-time to track information.
- Tracking data with Shipment ID as a placeholder:
Australian Post | http://auspost.com.au/track/track.html?id=[ID] Here, custom shipment service name is ‘Australian Post’ and its direct tracking URL requires only shipment ID to show real-time to track information.
Alternatively, as ID comes at the end of the tracking URL, you can even represent tracking data by ignoring [ID] tag as given below:
Australian Post | http://auspost.com.au/track/track.html?id=
- Adding tracking data in bulk
Adding tracking services in bulk is explained in the Import section, in later part of this documentation.
Resetting Tracking Data
You can tick the checkbox ‘Reset Tracking Data’ to reset all custom tracking services to the default list of pre-populated services.
Finally, save changes.
Shipment Tracking Import
This section of the plugin handles the import of shipment tracking information. To access these settings, navigate to WooCommerce > Shipment Tracking Import. The settings are divided into two sub-sections, namely, Import Settings and Import.
These settings help you configure the automatic import of CSV files. This functionality works only if you are importing your CSV file via FTP. Following are the settings for the same:
- Enable FTP – Check this option to enable FTP settings for WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro.
- FTP Server Host/IP – Enter your FTP Server hostname.
- FTP User Name – Enter your FTP username.
- FTP Password – Enter your FTP password.
- FTP Port – Enter your FTP port number
- FTP Timeout – Enter timeout period for loading.
- Path/CsvFileName – Enter CSV file path for importing.
- Use FTPS – Check this option to use FTPS. FTPS (File Transfer Protocol Secure) is a secured extension of FTP (File Transfer Protocol).
- Automatically Import CSV – Enable this option to configure automatic import of CSV file.
- Import Start Time – Enter the start time for import. You can enter a time value like 10:10 AM.
- Import Interval [Minutes] – Enter the time interval in minutes for importing the CSV file.
- Skip Already Processed – Check this option to skip existing order tracking information.
Once all settings are configured, click the Save Settings button.
This plugin enables admin to import CSV file for adding tracking data in bulk. The page appears as shown below:
The desired encoding of CSV is UTF-8 ( Which most of the text editors will default ). In the Windows environment you can use Notepad++, using which you can check and even convert the CSV text encoding format as shown below:
You can either choose the CSV file from the computer or provide FTP information to do a bulk import of tracking data. There is flexibility to change the delimiter to some other symbol other than ‘,’.
After importing, the tracking data gets updated for individual orders and order status gets marked as “Completed”, which in-turn trigger order completion email with tracking details to the customer.
A sample CSV is included inside the plugin ZIP file or you can click the Sample CSV to download it and the screenshot of the sample CSV (UTF8 encoded) is given below:
There are four columns in this CSV as explained below:
- ID: It represents the order ID of the individual order.
- Carrier: It represents the name of the carrier.
- TrackingNumber: It represents the tracking number for the shipment.
- Shipping Date: It represents the date of shipping.
- Description : Allows you to enter a brief description for the order which will appear in the Order confirmation page
- Order Status : Specify the status of the order so the Order details page gets updated with the new order status.
Shipment Tracking Section at Admin Order Page
The Shipment Tracking Section is as shown below:
- Shipment Services: Select the required Shipment service from the given drop-down list.
- Enter Tracking ID(s): Enter Tracking ID(s) which are provided by Carrier. Here, Tracking IDs and Shipment date are optional fields and the message that end customer sees may (automatically) vary according to the values entered.
- Description : Enter a brief description of the package.
- Shipment Date: Enter the date of shipment.
- Click Save/Show Tracking Info to save or show the tracking information to the customer.
Note: You can reset/disable the tracking message by selecting ‘None’ (default value) from Shipment Service drop-down list.
Tracking Information that is shown to Customer
Once the Shipment Tracking Message is created, complete the order. The Shipment Tracking Message on Customer order page is as shown below:
This plugin comes with enabled API real-time tracking for few services like USPS and Canada Post. PluginHive is planning to add this feature for more services in the future. So, the table Shipment tracking in the above screenshot appears for those services for which API tracking is enabled. Message on top gets displayed for all services by enabling tracking from admin order page.
Check out WooCommerce Shipment Tracking Pro plugin.