How to Pack Products Optimally and Save Shipping Costs with Shopify FedEx App
Packing your products optimally is not only crucial for the swift delivery of your package but also for saving costs. Although packing a single product into a box and shipping it using a FedEx service is easy, the process can get complex when it comes to multiple products.
Since Shopify shipping doesn’t give you a good understanding of packaging, most of the new Shopify merchants fail to optimize the packaging methods and end up losing huge money on shipping cost.
One of the easiest solutions for this issue is to use the Shopify FedEx App which helps you automate the process of packaging. With this app, you don’t have to manually set up each package and determine the cost for them. You just have to choose a suitable packing method and the app automates the rest.
In this article, we will explain to you the packing methods available in the Shopify FedEx App and how you can save shipping costs by optimizing the packing process.
Packing methods in Shopify FedEx App
The Shopify FedEx app offers quite a lot of FedEx packing boxes. The below image shows the boxes which are supported by the app. You can enable or disable the boxes according to your preference.
There are three parcel packing methods in Shopify FedEx App:
- Weight-based Packing
- Box Packing
- Pack Items Individually
Weight Based Packing
In the image below, you can see that there is an option called ‘Max Weight’ which is used to define the maximum weight of an individual package.
- Here we have defined the maximum weight as 50 Lbs. This means that in this particular box, items with a maximum weight of 50 Lbs can be packed. So, ss soon as the weight of the entire package crosses this value (ie. 50 Lbs), the app will automatically select another box.
- For example, if you have eight items and each of them weighs 10 Lbs, five of them go into one package and the next three will go into another package since the ‘Max Weight’ set here is 50 Lbs.
- Weight-based packing is the recommended packing method because of certainly valid reasons. One of the main reasons is that this method gives cheaper rates in most of the cases.
Default Box Dimensions for Freight Services: Since package dimensions are mandatory for certain FedEx Freight Services, you can use this option to set the dimensions of the package.
Box packing is an improved packing method that maximizes the volume of packages. This method is purely based on the Box Volume, Dimensions, and Weight. In this method, the volume of products is used to fit the total volume of the packages.
- In the Box Packing method, a box is filled based on the dimensions of the product until the box is completely filled or a minimum volume is left vacant. If the next unpacked product has a volume greater than the vacant volume, it goes into the next box and this process is continued until all products are packed.
- Custom Boxes are added for the convenience of the merchants. If none of the available FedEx boxes meets your needs, you can choose a custom box and pack your products using it. You can add the Inner and Outer dimensions of the box, the weight of the box and the max weight.
Note: You can also import the boxes which you want as a CSV file with the “Import” option.
Pack Items Individually
- This is the simplest way of packing products into the boxes. In this method, each product is packed separately into different boxes based on the dimensions of the product.
- Let us assume that you have four products and each one of them has different weights and dimensions. If you choose this packing method, the app will consider each product separately and will pack them into separate boxes.
A Few Tips to Save Shipping Costs
Here are some of the best practices for saving shipping costs on your Shopify store.
Use the correct box
It is important that you choose the right box. If the box is bigger than what you need, you will end up paying much more to send it. So, find a box that’s perfect, improving the use of packaging materials and reducing overall shipping costs.
Try to make whatever you’re sending smaller
Reducing the size of what you’re sending can help you save shipping costs. For example, you can easily fit a T-shirt into a padded envelope by neatly folding it instead of packing it into a box.
Do not overpack
Although it is important to make sure that the product which you are sending is protected, do not overpack. Overpacking increases the required box size which will, in turn, increase the shipping cost.
Understand the shipping services properly
Some services cost much less than others to send. For example, you may not be aware that USPS Media Mail service can be used to send media like DVDs, Books, etc at a very cheap rate. A store owner who is not aware of this will lose a lot of money to send such products using other services.
The Shopify FedEx App is a perfect shipping app that makes the packing process seamless and easier. This app will not only help you in the packing process but also in generating FedEx shipping label in bulk, scheduling the pickup for your shipments and also in shipment tracking.
We hope this article helps you understand the packing methods and how the Shopify FedEx App helps you automate the process. We also hope that you will find the tips to save shipping costs useful for your business.
If you have any queries, please Contact PluginHive Customer Support. Our team will be able to help you with any issues that you face.
Good luck 🙂