FedEx One Rate shipping with Shopify
This guide explains FedEx One Rate shipping and how you can handle FedEx One Rate shipping in your store using the Shopify Ship, Rate, and Track for FedEx.
On this page
- What is FedEx One Rate?
- What services support FedEx One Rate?
- Setting up FedEx One Rate using the Shopify Ship, Rate and Track for FedEx
- Display shipping rates at Shopify checkout based on FedEx One Rate
- How is the shipping cost calculated for FedEx One Rate?
- Advantages of FedEx One Rate
- Which business segments can make the most out of FedEx One Rate?
What is FedEx One Rate?
FedEx One Rate is basically FedEx flat rate shipping that is shipped in specified FedEx packaging. FedEx One Rate allows customers to plan and easily control their shipping costs. It is available within the US for shipments using the Express U.S. domestic services only.
Intra-Hawaii shipments are not allowed for FedEx One Rate
What services support FedEx One Rate?
FedEx One Rate is not supported for all FedEx shipping services. The services that support FedEx One Rate are given below:
- FedEx Express Saver
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- FedEx First Overnight
- FedEx Priority Overnight
- FedEx 2Day
- FedEx 2Day A.M.
Setting up FedEx One Rate using the Shopify Ship, Rate, and Track for FedEx
The Shopify Ship, Rate, and Track for FedEx allows you to handle FedEx One Rate seamlessly and in a simpler way. Follow the below steps to handle FedEx One Rate with the app.
Enable FedEx One Rate under the App settings
Head to App settings > Auto Settings > Enable FedEx One Rate Service, as shown below:
Ensure that the packaging process selected is Box Packing and that FedEx boxes are enabled
Since FedEx One Rate works only with FedEx Boxes, you need to ensure that the packaging process selected is Box Packing. This packaging method allows you to choose different FedEx boxes and also ensures that the FedEx boxes are enabled.
Head to Settings > Packaging > Packing method > Select Box Packing, as shown below:
Once you select Box packing, you need to enable the FedEx boxes that will be available under the packaging section as shown below:
To know more about Box packing, check out the understanding Box Packing method in the Shopify Ship, Rate, and Track for FedEx.
If you do not want to get the FedEx Flat Rate Boxes and still want to enjoy the benefits of FedEx One Rate, Ship, Rate & Track for FedEx app now supports FedEx One Rate using your packaging. This way you will be able to save shipping costs & avoid wastage while packing your products.
After enabling the FedEx One Rate option, you can create your own boxes and provide the box dimensions (inner & outer) and weight (box weight & maximum capacity) as shown below:
Now enable the Set Corresponding One Rate Box option under the FedEx One Rate Settings, as shown below.
FedEx has certain conditions that you must keep in mind while using your packaging to get FedEx One Rate. To use this, your packaging must fall under the FedEx boxes listed below:
- If your box falls under FedEx PAK it should have a Maximum volume of 644in^3, material: 3mm thick polybag, and no more than 20” on all sides
- If your box falls under FedEx Small Box it must have a maximum volume of 420 in^3,material:32 edge crush test, or 200 lbs of cardboard
- If your box falls under FedEx Medium Box it should have a maximum volume of 421-644 in^3,material:32 edge crush test, or 200 lbs cardboard
The app also automatically calculates the volume when the box size is increased or decreased. In the image below when the box size is increased the volume automatically increases.
Display shipping rates at Shopify checkout based on FedEx One Rate
Once you have enabled FedEx One Rate, add a product to the cart, and proceed to checkout. You will be able to see the FedEx services at checkout as shown below.
Shipping cost when FedEx One Rate is enabled
Shipping cost when FedEx One Rate is disabled
As you can notice, there is a clear difference in the shipping cost for different FedEx services.
How is the shipping cost calculated for FedEx One Rate Shipping?
FedEx One Rate is a single-package service. You will be able to ship your products in a single package up to the allowed weight limit.
However, FedEx One Rate can be applied for multiple packages as well. The shipping rate negotiation is added for a single package but FedEx One Rate can be applied for multiple packages. This means that if a customer has negotiated FedEx One Rate cost as $10, the rate becomes $20 if the order has two packages.
For FedEx Envelopes:
For weights up to 10 lbs, all the products will be packed in a single envelope. For weights above 10 lbs, the shipping will be calculated based on FedEx Standard Rates.
For all other Packages:
For weights up to 50 lbs, all products will be packed in a single box. Above 50 lbs, the shipping will be calculated based on FedEx Standard Rates.
To know more about the pricing, visit FedEx One Rate pricing.
Box restrictions for FedEx One Rate
The FedEx One Rates works only with the FedEx Standard Boxes. To qualify for FedEx One Rate pricing, FedEx envelopes must weigh 10 lbs or less, and other FedEx boxes must weigh 50 lbs or less.
For packaging up to 10 lbs, FedEx Envelopes can be used, and for packages up to 50 lbs, you can use the following boxes.
- FedEx Pak
- FedEx Tube
- FedEx Small Box
- FedEx Medium Box
- FedEx Large Box
- FedEx Extra Large Box
Advantages of FedEx One Rate
FedEx One Rate provides several advantages to customers, some of which are listed below:
- FedEx One Rate service base cost does not increase with weight, fuel surcharges, and residential & delivery area surcharges.
- FedEx One Rate allows customers to take advantage of the reduced pricing option for the shipping distance.
- FedEx One Rate allows customers to have more packaging options. There is a total of 12 packing options for all express shipping services.
- FedEx One Rate shipping is easy to access since it is available online through FedEx Ship Manager, different FedEx office locations & FedEx ship centers. FedEx also allows customers to drop off their FedEx One Rate shipments at different FedEx drop box locations.
- FedEx One Rate pricing includes the best tracking capabilities, a money-back guarantee, and no additional charge for declared value up to $100.
- The shipping process becomes simple and faster since the merchants do not need to weigh FedEx Envelopes shipments of 10 lbs. or less and FedEx Express boxes of 50 lbs. or less. Also, there is no need to measure the dimension of the box.
Which business segments can make the most out of FedEx One Rate?
FedEx One Rate is beneficial for almost all businesses who are looking for a cost-effective shipping service. However, some of the factors that make your business more likely for FedEx One Rate are:
- Merchants who are shipping products of varying weights, since it lets you ship packages that weigh 50 pounds or less to anywhere in the US for a fixed price
- Shipping goods of different shapes & sizes, as FedEx One Rate provides more packaging options in comparison to other shipping services
- Ships expensive goods as FedEx Money-Back Guarantee applies to all packages. If a package was delayed, you might request a postage refund.
If you have any queries regarding handling FedEx One Rate shipping with the Shopify Ship, Rate and Track for FedEx, do contact PluginHive support.